Low-income customers can get up to $500 in emergency assistance for your electricity bills ($600 if your home is heated electrically) and $500 for gas bills.
Utility Subsidy Programs
The Emergency Utility Subsidy Program provides assistance to our residents living on or below the poverty line who are under threat of having their heat, water, oil or gas utilities disconnected.
About The Program
Primarily, families receive help with their utilities when notice is given for disconnection. The utility bill must be in the family’s name in order to receive assistance.
Also, identification for all household members, proof of income and the disconnection notice from the utility company must be presented upon intake. Our staff will work with the utility companies to seek a payment solution.
Other means of help include hydro or water deposits along with referrals to partner agencies who may be able to assist further.
- Proof of Income for everyone in the home - including Child Tax Benefit
- Identification for everyone in the home - 2 pieces for applicant, 1 piece for everyone else in the home
- Current utility bill and/or disconnect notice for the utility
- Rent / Mortgage receipt
- Bank statement from the last 60 days
- 2016 Income Tax or Notice of Assessment may be requested for all family members
Questions about our programs? Looking to Volunteer?
Contact Community Care of West Niagara today!